Start a new topic

When the person speaks too quickly

Hi, all.

I'm new to this site and I'm really enjoying my time as I'm learning more about transcribing videos. One dilemma that I'm unsure how to resolve involves fast-talking speakers. Sometimes the speaker is moving so unbelievably quickly through their sentences that no matter how I split the subtitles, I continue to receive error messages. Whether I adjust the subtitles to make them longer or shorter, they wouldn't be on screen for long enough to be read or comprehended. I have no clue how to go about fixing this. Has anybody else had this problem?

Hi Claude,

Thanks for your quick response! Yeah, I've fortunately never run into this problem on any team videos I've transcribed, but I see it so often when I choose my own videos to work on. It's really reassuring that we have the option to ignore the speed warnings - I assumed that if our subtitles had any remaining errors, we wouldn't be able to submit them! 

Thanks for the information!

Excellent question, Bloo Burry.

Sometimes you can slightly shorten the transcript or translation, say eliminating hesitations, rewordings. Often you can't.

When I can't, I ignore the speed warning, especially in an "independent" video. However, if the video belongs to a team that has strict guidelines about subtitle length and speed, I then add a note explaining why I must violate the guideline.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment