Start a new topic

Need volunteer help with subtitles please

Hello,

This is my first post here and I am requesting help. I am new to Amara and subtitling, but I volunteered to subtitle a youtube video of a book author in Russian which is my native language. I am a professional translator but, as it turned out when I started captioning the video, I lack sufficient skills to understand everything I heard spoken. I am a written translator, and need to see the text, my listening comprehension is not perfect, and in some places in the video I cannot decipher what is said and therefore cannot caption it. In some places I had to play the video a few times repeatedly to understand the speaker. So it takes very long time to caption and is frustrating. I need help of a native English speaker to subtitle the video in English so that I can translate written English subtitles into Russian. And probably I will need help syncing Russian subtitles if it is possible to do for another person. (I translated subtitles of a shorter video for training and could never sync it properly myself. I am not good at the technical side, at least now that I just started, and proper syncing is really hard for me to do). Also I did part of translating subtitles for the video in question and they did not get saved when my browser crashed, as I saw no option to save them in the subtitle editor. The video is one hour long, and I will feel really bad if it is not subtitled as I promised to the lady, but I cannot do all the work on it by myself at the moment, because if I use it for learning to subtitle it will be extremely time consuming and also I even fail to decipher the language in quite a number places in it, while for a native speaker it should not be a problem. I am requesting volunteer help with subtitling or can translate any of your English subtitles into Russian in exchange. The video can be viewed here: https://amara.org/en/videos/gDBedNErjaOX/info/bases-45-cara-st-louis-part-1-480p/

I would be very grateful for any help or advice.

Sincerely,

Irina

Thank you very much, Claude!

Hi Irina,

I have added the video to the Captions Requested team. It's a very open team, meaning that videos there can also be captioned by non members of the team, but on the other hand, team members will get a notification that it is available for captioning; so hopefully, some of them will volunteer to do that.

Re syncing the translation, once you've got the English captions to start from: the English time-codes will automatically be suggested for the Russian translation. So unless you have to split Russian subtitles differently, they will work as they are.

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment