Start a new topic

Misleadingly offputting indications for subtitle creation

Some indications in the dialogs for subtitle creation are presently misleadingly offputting:

1) No Amara subtitles yet: uploading elsewhere-made subs
 Example: Fetzer Advisory Council on the Arts Call Statement (presently)
When I click the link in "Already have subtitles for this video? You can uploadthem directly.", the dialog box that opens says:
Did you translate from another language? Uploading before the source language is completed means you won't be able to use our translation interface
even though a) no source language is indicated; b) I haven't yet selected the language I want to make the subs in. See attachment nosubs_uploadsubs.jpg . That's baffling. Could you
  • postpone that message to when people have selected the language of the subs they want to upload, and that language differs from the video's original language
  • indicate the video's original language in this dialog box?

2) Subs exist in a different language than the video's: making subs in the original language
Example:  Fetzer Advisory Council on Business Call Statement (presently), which has subs in Arabic made by Ahmed Abd El-Rahman, but not in English.

a) Under the video, the possibility to create subs in other languages is phrased as:
Don't see the language you're looking for? Start a new translation!
This gives the misleading impression that the only way to make subs in the original language (English) would be to back-translate them from Arabic.
  • Could the link be rephrased as "Start your own subtiles"?

b) And this misleading impression is confirmed if you do click that link, because the dialog box that opens says:
Create subtitles
This video is in English
Subtitle into: [drop list with many languages, with one preselected by the software: in my case, French]
Translate from: [drop list with Arabic as the only option]
"Continue" button
(see translsubs_createnewsubs_1.jpg attachment)

So people might well give up at that stage, thinking they'd have to make the English subs in a translation interface giving Arabic  as the source language.
However, if the selected language for "Subtitle into" is the video's original language (English in this case), the dialog box changes to:
Create subtitles
This video is in English (selected)
Subtitle into: English
"Continue" button
(see translsubs_createnewsubs_2.jpg attachment)
And if you click the "Continue" button, you do get to a normal transcribing page.
I didn't do it with this  Fetzer Advisory Council on Business Call Statement video, in order to preserve the example above, but I did with Fetzer Advisory Council on Education Call Statement : so now that Education Call video has subs English too (1).

I don't know how to rephrase the first dialog that opens when you click the link under the video to avoid misleading people into thinking they'll have to make original subs by retranslating the existing translated subs. But it must be rephrased: otherwise, videos where the 1st-made subs are translated might well remain unsubtitled in their original language.
Could a separate option be added, perhaps, like this:
Create subtitles
This video is in [video language]
Create original subtitles
"Continue" button
OR
Subtitle into: [drop list with many languages]
Translate from: [drop list with existing translated subs as the only option]
"Continue" button
?
A bit text-heavy, though.

(1) Other issue, though: while on Fetzer Advisory Council on Education Call Statement and its subpages, Arabic and English are correctly described as 100%, the description for this video in http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/teams/Fetzer misleadingly says: "2 languages (1 completed)" - perhaps because Ahmed Abd El-Rahman made fewer subs  in Arabic than I did in English?

1 person has this problem
Login or Signup to post a comment