Thank you for the update but I got a question : All these new ideas about "make primary" are coming from where ? Because there is a very big difference between what developers are doing and what we really need.
Once again we got around 6000 videos amara's videos on our website traduzic.com and we made the translation of each one of them. Now 200 of them are censored, consequences : 200 000 visitors/month can't see these translations.
Now you want me to send you the 200 dead videos with the 200 new url, is it serious ? Cause even when a couple of people was helping me with this (when the « make primary » was working as we wanted) it was a lot of work. So if you are only 2 I got some doubt about this.
Anyway here is the first one, tell me if you are ok and i send you the 199 others.
Amara : http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en-gb/videos/BJ5qtB5XX9uU/info/jimi-hendrix-wild-thing-monterey-67/#video
New url : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTXdZscdm4
For example, if the primary is a youtube video, and other is a mp4 one. If you view it on an ipad, which can't play youtube flash videos, you'll get shown the other url, not the primary. So for two YouTube URLs, it will show the first. So make primary is working as it was intended to work.Last time I checked with an iPad user a few weeks ago, his iPad did not display ANY closed captioned subs, except the ones provided in iTunes. I.e. not Amara cc subs, not YouTube cc subs, not Internet Archive CC subs (that's one reason why I chose an Android device instead of an iPad). So why attempt to cater for iPad users on Amara? If they can't see the CC subs anyway, they aren't likely to use Amara.
so while we came up with a more robust solution to protect users work, we disabled the ability to delete the URLsWhen Verone started this thread, original URLs couldn't be deleted, but at least we could remove added URLs, included the primary one for a working video that the software refused to show. This enabled us to create a new Amara page for the working video, then transfer to it the subtitles of the page for the no-longer working video.
Upshot: at least, http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/sWbrhY0CM5Zv/info/julian-assange-speech-at-wikileaks-public-meeting-in-melbourne shows correctly with the English and Spanish subs, and I didn't have to disturb anyone working at Amara for that.
But now, i.e. sometime after Verone started this thread, the developers have entirely disabled deleting URLs: not only original URLs that don't work, but also primary URLs that work but that they've decided to by-pass. And that means that if I wanted now to create an Amara page with working video and subtitles for this speech by Assange, I'd have to ask for help. This is not rational.
So it would make more sense, and save time for you and Amara users, if Amara developers would consent to:
You mentioned accessibility as an argument for the changes introduced by the developers. Accessibility means offering videos that work with subtitles that work to people who cannot understand the audio of a video, either because they are Deaf / Hard of Hearing, or because they don't know the original language of the video - not hypothetically catering for iPad users when they can't view Amara subs anyway.
Last thing: this bypassing users' primary choices is just one instance among others where developers have been taking a "Father Knows Best" attitude towards users since Universal Subtitles became Amara. Other cases:
True, you wrote that 2, 3 and 4 would get fixed with the next software release. But why not consult users about such ideas, as Craig Zheng, UX Design Lead for Amara, wrote developers would do, back in July (see his July 3 comment in The folks at Amara are crowdsourcing caption translation on Google+), rather than imposing them and wait for the excrement to hit the air conditioner, to quote Kurt Vonnegut Jr.?
UX Design stands for User Experience Design. So if there is an Amara Lead for it, users should not have ideas evolved by developers in their ivory tower forced on them, but be consulted about them - which should be done in this help forum or in another public venue. And they should have an opportunity to participate in the beta-testing of these ideas, e.g. on the Developers' platform (1) that was created for that when Amara was Universal Subtitles.
That would save both users AND developers a lot of time.
(1) https://dev.universalsubtitles.org - it's on the blink presently. I hope it hasn't been deleted, as it is also the platform for testing volunteers' translations of the Amara interface, among other things.
However, the impossibility to download subs is mitigated by the fact that they only say, for English:
bababbabab abdslkj alkjd l;kajsdf alsdkfjlkasdf ajkslkjdsafkdsf ajs dk ajsd adksdajksa jdksf lkajsdf
and for Filipino, more soberly:
asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdf asdfa asdf
Not terribly helpful for people who can't understand English.
Update: now the embedded video has reverted to the http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/NmkV5cbiCqUU/info/learn-about-universal-subtitles one where the software continues to bypass the primary indication for the vimeo mp4 video in favor of the YT one. A saner choice.
...For example, if the primary is a youtube video, and other is a mp4 one. If you view it on an ipad, which can't play youtube flash videos, you'll get shown the other url, not the primary. So for two YouTube URLs, it will show the first. So make primary is working as it was intended to work. ...