Start a new topic

add subtitles and translate Glenn Greenwalds speech

Well, doesn't hurt to ask, does it?

The Chaos Communication Club in germany had a great keynote speech from Glenn Greenwald (the reporter that helped Edward Snowden).
They also have a great team for subtitles, but they could use some help.

Anyone interested in adding subtitles to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJIR0-KJu0

I attached a draft of the transscript. It just needs to be slightly corrected and is mostly finished!

The sooner this can be made public the better! There are many people out there who need the transcript to watch the video. Share the word and help translate!

Thank you!
txt

Hi Noonymaus

The transcript is great, but a bit too detailed for the captions. So the quickest way to get the video captioned would be to make a copy of the transcript where you'd:

• remove the action descriptions 
  • split what remains in chunks of reasonable subtitle length, separating chunks with a blank line
  • save as .txt again

then add - or ask the uploader to add - this edited transcript to the YT video: the YT software will then synchronize it via voice recognition into subtitles. More info in the YouTube Captions Help topic, in particular in the Transcripts sub-topic.

If you're not the uploader and the uploader doesn't want to / can't use this transcript-adding method, the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJIR0-KJu0 video  is under YouTube's CC-BY license, so you can create a copy by using the "Remix this video" button: once you've got your copy, use the above method.

And then, if captions need fine-tuning, you can create an Amara page from the captioned YT video: the existing captions will automatically get transferred to the Amara page where it'll be possible to edit them.

Hey noonymaus!

You wouldn't also have a transcript of

Jacob Appelbaum's   "30c3: To Protect And Infect, Part 2", maybe? If yes, that talk could be subtitled in the same way I suggested above. I'm asking because traditional broadcasters are reporting about Appelbaum's talk in their news (kind of: 30 seconds). So it would be nice if it were fully available with subtitles and transcript too.

Happy:

• New Year
  • hacking
  • subtitling

Login or Signup to post a comment