Start a new topic

How to invite collaborators to help caption a new video?

Hi all,

Sorry for the newby question. I'm just curious how i can invite others to help subtitle my YouTube video (i.e., caption, in the original language of the video).

How do i invite people to help, and how do the revisions work? 

Each time someone makes a change, does it get saved and viewable by all others who are working on it?

If someone comes in and makes terrible edits, is there a way to undo them, and/or go back to a previous version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this info is obvious -- i just havent quite figured it out yet from the Amara website.

Cheers,

J

1 Comment

Thank you for your questions, Jordan. Here are some temptative answers:

>   how i can invite others to
> help subtitle my YouTube video (i.e., caption, in the original language of
> the video).

1. You could create an Amara page from the YouTube video's URL, then link to it in the description of the original YouTube video, and in social networks you are member of.

2. You could join an Amara team where members can add videos, and add yours to the team: each time a video is added to a team, all members get an alert saying it's there for them to help-

3. You could also connect your YouTube channel and Amara account, but that gives you very little control on
  • what videos of your channel create Amara pages
  • what subtitles made with Amara get published on YouTube

So examine your channel very carefully before doing this this

>  how do the revisions work? 
>   
>  Each time someone makes a change, does it get saved and viewable by all
> others who are working on it?

They work like a wiki's revision. Each time someone makes a change and saves it, this creates a new revision viewable by all.

>  If someone comes in and makes terrible edits, is there a way to undo them,
> and/or go back to a previous version?

Yes: you can do that by opening the Revisions tab, choosing the revision you want, then click on the "Roll back " link. But that's one reason for NOT connecting your YouTube channel to your Amara account (see 3 above). With that connection, if someone makes terrible edits and saves as "complete", the terrible edits will be immediately transfered on your Youtube video,

>  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this info is obvious -- i
> just havent quite figured it out yet from the Amara website.

Thank you for your questions: though there are video tutorials once you start working on the subtitles in Amara, these things are not so obvious "from the outside":

Login or Signup to post a comment