Start a new topic

Asterisks for italics seem to cause line break?

Hello

Maybe this has been spotted before or it's just my system but I'm trying to type in two lines in italics using the *

The problem is that it displays on three lines in the video window.

You can see just above here that the transcription was typed in as two lines.

So I'm not sure how it is going to display in the final video?

Can anyone help please?

Hello again

I've found a workaround or maybe this is what I should have done
If you have two lines that you need to appear with asterisks, then you have to type them twice

eg *The Commissions Board of the*
      *French National Assembly*

Hi SafeTex

Thank you for the workaround!

I can't see the "video above" you mentioned in your first post: maybe the software scrapped a screenshot?

However, you could check how the subtitles will display in the final video by saving and exiting, then playing the video from the "viewing" interface. But that will only show you how they'll display in the Amara player. If you re-use them in another player, e.g. YouTube's, which has a shorter default line length than Amara's, then it will force returns in lines longer than that.

Two workarounds:
  1. Ignore the maximum line length indication and only pay attention to the maximum subtitle length indication, staying within the limit of the intended player, so that it makes the returns. Or:
  2. Use the line length indication to make line breaks, but make lines short enough not to be split by returns in the intended player.

I mainly use the first one because it's simpler, but also because I don't know where else the subtitles might get re-used by others. However, if the video has been added to a team that has a strict rule about maximum line length, I apply it.

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment