Start a new topic

Accessibility

hello I've looked at several programs and am very confused .. what I am trying to do is add correct transcripts to other peoples YouTube videos so they are accessible for all users . I am able to do the captioning myself ..however my current process of downloading then re uploading the YouTube video with corrected transcripts is getting old ... and I fear I am violating copyright . I would like to provide accurate captions for other peoples work . I am a college student and only looking at free alternatives .

1 person has this problem
1 Comment

Hi Chuck

Thank you for raising this very important issue. The biggest obstacle to accessibility is not technical, it's the present copyright regime - and not only for videos. Here's a rule of thumb I use on YouTube:
  • I don't worry about  "content match" warnings. If they are unwarranted, I challenge them.
  • But when I get a strike, warranted or not, I do exactly what the strike notice tells me to get the strike removed, because with 3 strikes, your account gets deleted. 

Now the advantage with Amara is that you don't have to reupload the original video: you only stream it in a subtitling page you create from its URL. So the risk of being accused of copyright violation is minimal, because you are not creating a copy.

Very rarely, a right owner does request that subtitles made on/with Amara be taken down, as "violating their copyright." Slightly more often, the original video gets deleted at a right owner's request, so it doesn't work on Amara anymore either.

Therefore, if you want to subtitle a potentially controversial video on/with Amara, download your subtitles regularly for possible future reuse/sharing, so you don't lose your work if either of these two things happens.

Best,

Claude Almansi

Login or Signup to post a comment