Start a new topic

How can misleading suggestions from team dashboards be preventented?

Yesterday, I started the How will the government improve the health of deaf people? | House of Lords debate 31 March 2014 Amara video page from youtube.com/watch?v=k4s-UD9cp5Q, which already had "English, British" captions that got automatically transfered to an "English, British" Amara subpage.

So far so good. But considering the international interest in that debate, e.g.  when it was mentioned on the discussion list of the Collaborative for Communication Access via Captioning (CCAC), I also added that video page to the Amara Captions Requested team, where  some members might be interested in making translated subtitles from the captions.

Unfortunately, the team dashboard software considers variants of a language as separate languages. Upshot: for that video, the Captions Requested Dashboard suggested to members who have listed "English" in their subtitling languages to "Create English Subtitles" for that video. I.e.  like this:

Considering that the video is over an hour long, and that English, British captions are perfectly adequate for US users, prompting English-speaking team members to re-subtitle it from scratch is a bad idea indeed.

This issue does not only arise for videos that already have EN-GB original captions, but also for all videos whose original language is set as a variant of a language: French, Canadian and all the variants of Spanish and that already have original captions.

In these cases too, team members who have listed, respectively, French or Spanish in their languages get prompted to re-subtitle the video from scratch in, respectively French or Spanish.

In this case, I removed the Dashboard suggestion to "Create English Subtitles" by making a single English subtitle that says:

"[The Captions Requested team's Dashboard" suggested making "English" suns for this video. Pointless: there are already "English, British" captions. Hence this single sub, to remove that suggestion]"

and declaring the English subtitles complete. It worked: the dashboard no longer prompts English-speaking members to create English subtitles for the video. However:

A) This is an inelegant workaround in general, and in teams where completed subtitles automatically get pushed to the original video, such a single sub would look darned silly on the original video.

B) This video has 561 original EN-GB captions, so in order to be able to declare this single subtitle as a complete set of "English" subtitles with the present Amara editor, I had three options:
  1. delete 560 empty subtitles one by one with the present editor;
  2. use the legacy editor's "Restart this step" option in the "Typing" step (but I didn't think of that);
  3. download the incomplete (because of all the "untranslated"subs) set of English subs, delete all these "untranslated" subs with a desktop text editor, reupload the set as complete.

I chose option 3 but I initially messed up (see the history of revisions for EN-GB captions).

So, can you suggest a neater solution?

Would it perhaps be possible to add if rules for languages that have 2 or more variants in Amara to the software part that deals with team dashboard? Something like:

• If there are EN-GB complete subs for the video, do not prompt members to create EN subs.
  • If there are EN complete subs for the video, do not prompt members to create EN-GB subs.

• If there are FR-CA complete subs for the video, do not prompt members to create FR subs.

• If there are FR complete subs for the video, do not prompt members to create FR-CA subs.

• and so on for all variants of Spanish

?

1 person has this problem
Login or Signup to post a comment