Start a new topic

No .VTT file format available in download drop down option

There are instructions that show us how to download a .VTT file format and then upload that into Vimeo.

However, the only download file format options are:

DFXP

SRT

SSA

SBV

Anyone know where the .VTT option is?

Hi Scott,

I'm puzzled by your question because the download formats offered are:

DFXP
SBV
SRT
SSA
TXT
VTT

as presently shown in the screenshot shown in the  How do I upload subtitles to Vimeo? tutorial you mention.

However, I've added SRT subtitles to vimeo before reading that tutorial and that works fine too.

As a rule: the Amara "Solutions" attempt to give info about reusing Amara subtitles on other video hosting platforms for quick referral, but it's always a safer bet to get it straight from the relevant platform, because its interface may change and the platform manager will update the help resources accordingly.  In this case, see Captions and Subtitles on Vimeo > What caption and subtitle file formats does Vimeo support?:

"We support SRT, WebVTT, DFXP/TTML, SCC, and SAMI files, but we recommend using WebVTT whenever possible."

So WebVTT is just a recommendation.

Best,

Claude

Hi Claude,

It wasn't the most intuitive, but I was able to locate this page you were referring to ... there is another option to download when you are in the actual editing phases of the video, so that it what I was referring to.

As you have pointed out, the .VTT option only exists on this profile page and not within the editing stages that I was working in.

Thanks.

-SM-

Oh sorry: I've only done the former copypaste "download"  from within the editing tool so far, and only knew of the real download option in the editing tool from the Instruct users how to save downloaded backup for their subtitles #751 github ticket where developers were discussing it. That's why I thought of the normal download from the subtitle viewing page.

Now I get what you mean. But as the title of that github ticket indicates, download from within the editing tool is only meant as a back-up to be reuploaded to the Amara page if something goes wrong with saving your work.  So if you have to do such a back-up download but want the subtitles as a .VTT file, just re-upload them, then download them  as .VTT

Example: let's suppose I can't save my work in http://www.amara.org/en/subtitles/editor/vxF2PlwGKoQY/meta-geo/ (the new editor page for the "Metadata: Geo" subtitles of  Science Power Couple: Jennifer Ouellette and Sean M. Carroll), I can:
I hope this helps,

Best,

Claude

Understood.  Thank you Claude.

Login or Signup to post a comment