Start a new topic

Some Feature Requests for Amara Plus

These are just suggestions and certainly not complaints, but I can think of a few things that would really improve workflow times. First of all, this is probably the best tool available to the general public that I have had the opportunity to use, so even if it's left as-is, I'm still very happy with it. However, I have had the opportunity to use other organizations' in-house tools, and some had some nice features that really sped things up for me.

Below is a bullet-pointed list of ideas:

• The ability to change the as-you-edit validation metrics for captions to check for compliance with different organizations' requirements in (like being able to change characters per second, characters per line, et cetera validation).

• The ability to automatically create a new line in a caption when the characters per line limit is exceeded, taking care to avoid splitting a word while doing so.

• An option for the editor to automatically nudge caption groups backward by a certain amount of time as you sync them, like taking into account reaction time so one doesn't have to spend as much time nudging captions back and forth after adding start times to them.

• A shortcut key for moving a caption group to the top or bottom of the screen as you sync them.

There are some other things that would be nice, too, but these, in my opinion, would be the most helpful features for my workflow.

Belated thanks for your suggestions 

(my internet connection went on the blink on Friday and only just got

fixed) 

Best wishes 

Claude Almansi

1 person likes this

Hi Brownie,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your excellent feedback! Our user’s feedback is invaluable in that process and we really appreciate you taking the time to share. We’ve included answers inline below.

• The ability to change the as-you-edit validation metrics for captions to check for compliance with different organizations' requirements in (like being able to change characters per second, characters per line, et cetera validation).

The warnings in the Amara editor are set to a default value for all videos that are added to the Amara Public space for consistency. The option to set specific guidelines for characters per second, characters per line are currently only customizable in Amara Enterprise team spaces. 

• The ability to automatically create a new line in a caption when the characters per line limit is exceeded, taking care to avoid splitting a word while doing so.

We are exploring ways to improve the Amara editor's behavior when the character limits are exceeded. We will include this suggestion as one of the possibilities. 

• An option for the editor to automatically nudge caption groups backward by a certain amount of time as you sync them, like taking into account reaction time so one doesn't have to spend as much time nudging captions back and forth after adding start times to them.

The feature to nudge all caption groups forward or backward is available in the Clock Icon in the Amara Editor. You can read more about these features in this article on Syncing Subtitles.

• A shortcut key for moving a caption group to the top or bottom of the screen as you sync them.

We will add this to our wish list for possible further development. 

We are always looking for the best features to develop to improve workflow times.  We would love to hear from more users on how these ideas would be helpful for them too!

Happy Subtitling! 

The Amara Team 

2 people like this

Nice

Login or Signup to post a comment