Start a new topic
Answered

Questions regarding the 2 samples for applying Amara On Demand

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on the forum.

I was a contributor to the TED team on this platform. Now I'm interested in applying for Amara On Demand. One of the requirements is that I need to create 2 sample works for them to evaluate.

My main question is that I've already subtitled several videos on this platform in the past, so can those videos meet this requirement? It not, do I have to upload my own samples? Or, can I find 2 videos in the Public Workspace to subtitle. 

I'll be really grateful to anyone who can answer or give me some advice or information related to this topic. Thank you all in advance! 

Claire

Best Answer

Hi Claire,

I'm the senior recruiter for Amara On Demand. I just checked your profile, and unfortunately whatever work that you did before must have been on a private team. So your activity page is blank. Your best bet is to subtitle two short videos in the Amara Public Workspace so that we can see activity on your profile.

We ask for samples to make sure that applicants are comfortable with the Amara Subtitle Editor and know how to synchronize subtitles to the video timing.

Best,

Allison

Thank you for your important query, Claire Hsu. 

Unfortunately, I do not know the details of Amara On Demand, so could you please ask in a ticket that will go to the staff in charge?  Please mention "OnDemand" in the title of the ticket: this will expedite its processing. 

Your TED.com translator profile probably links to the videos you subtitled: so maybe you could give the links to this profile and to 2 videos you subtitled with Amara in the ticket?

Best,

Claude

PS I now see that you already have a ticket, but concerning the "Amplifying the Voices of Change" team. I think it would be better to make a separate ticket for the issue sou mention here.

Best,

2 people like this

Hi Claude Almansi,

Thank you for the answers and suggestion! I'll definitely inquire them through a new ticket soon.

Sincerely,

Claire.

Answer

Hi Claire,

I'm the senior recruiter for Amara On Demand. I just checked your profile, and unfortunately whatever work that you did before must have been on a private team. So your activity page is blank. Your best bet is to subtitle two short videos in the Amara Public Workspace so that we can see activity on your profile.

We ask for samples to make sure that applicants are comfortable with the Amara Subtitle Editor and know how to synchronize subtitles to the video timing.

Best,

Allison

2 people like this

Hi Allison Buford,

Thank you so much for your reply and even checking my profiles! I really appreciate the info you gave me.

Best Regards,

Claire.

This is useful information, but I need more, can you write more about it? 

Can you specify what still remains unclear for you, please? 

This is helpful information, but I need more; could you elaborate?

drift boss

We need to make sure that anyone who applies for the professional Amara On Demand team has experience with the Amara Editor. We require that applicants have at least 2 completed subtitle samples for 2 different videos (at least 2 minutes long each) publicly viewable on their Amara profiles. You can choose videos in the Amara Public Workspace or add new videos to the Amara Public Workspace by copying and pasting the URL in the Add Video dialog. Hope that helps!

The topic is quite good and I am also interested in this issue 

Spider Solitaire 2 Suit

This is such a great post and was thinking much the same myself. Be sure to keep writing more great articles like this one. Thank you for sharing. 

Hi Rheaume,

It's very simple: people who want to apply to Amara on Demand must link in their application to 2 samples of video subtitling they have made with Amara. Therefore there is no need for a developer to look into the samples.

Best

Claude

@Claude Almansi

Thank you for clarifying this.

Danial master number 11

Nice info!

if you're allowed to choose videos from the Public Workspace to subtitle for your samples, that could be a viable option as long as you adhere to any guidelines provided by Amara On Demand regarding the selection of videos.

Login or Signup to post a comment