Start a new topic

is it possible to translate the audio of movie into other language?

dear friends

need to know if there is any tool where the audio dialogues of any video or movie can be translated into other language? 

1 person has this question

i think my translation in that pad some parts are wrong.....im not sure where though. 

I would still need the Italian autogenerated subtitles in order to check. (my Italian is almost at native speaker level).

Best

Claude

Hi Claude 

Did you check the new link? 

https://amara.org/en/videos/mAu0jCjwYkMH/info/questo-e-il-mio-paese-ep1-part-1/

i think there should be Italian auto subtitle here

Hi Johnny

Yes, there are Italian subtitles there, but unfortunately RAI blocked the YouTube video.

Nonetheless, I'll be able to use your video attachment with the Italian subs to check the subs with VLC. Then we can use https://amara.org/en/videos/mAu0jCjwYkMH/info/questo-e-il-mio-paese-ep1-part-1/ to check the translation.

It might take some time though, but I promise to do my best.

Claude

Thank you very much Claude...yes the series was only available in Italy and Poland and my friend happen to have these series long time back...im not sure how he got it, but possibly download. 

There are 6 episodes though which i need to have the subs. But if there is a particular line that i really dont know, is it alright to ask you?

Sure, Johnny. I hope I'll be able to help, though. 

I had a go with your <https://amara.org/en/videos/mAu0jCjwYkMH/info/questo-e-il-mio-paese-ep1-part-1/>, initially messing up the upload of your English subtitles over the Italian ones (don't worry, I corrected that).  Then I stopped at a place where the automated Italian subtitles were wrong. So I checked the audio file, and I think I'll be able to go on.

The problem with TV series is that they love to have heaps of sounds - street noises, dogs barking etc, at times even background music. So if you can view them, you can more or less follow.  But not if you are sight-impaired or doing something else. And of course, all this also interferes with automated captions.

Best

Claude

Thanks alot Claude. Yes it sure does with automated captions. Those background noises interrupt alot, so for me its very difficult to translate. I havent been able to continue as i was busy working at home, but for the coming weeks i will be able to proceed with the next scene. 

Dear Friends Related to Softwear field . Please Tell me is it possible in future that any softwear will be made which convert any video Language like same as human with same voice, speed, pitch, frequency as it in video any one tell me chances of that invention ? Thanks .

Thank you for this interesting question, M. Usama.

What you describe may not be possible right now,  However, AI now enables people to make celebrities say what they never said in their own voice - see Watch Jordan Peele use AI to make Barack Obama deliver a PSA about fake news (James Vincent, The Verge) Apr 17, 2018). As to the audio fake, it works by storing speech fragments together with the relevant text transcript in a database. Then the text transcript can be modified, and the new transcript gets voiced by an app that uses the database.

So it's not entirely inconceivable that in future, the same pattern could be used to artificially make people  say translated versions of what they actually said. Nevertheless, there are hurdles: pitch patterns and word lengths are language-related. So keeping them identically in the translation would probably sound rather weird.

Best,

Claude

You can translate multi subtitles at once on this websites Subtitles translator and Multi subtiles translator

Thank you for your input, apolon666. 

However, this discussion is about translating audio in one language into audio in another language.

I don't quite understand the point of the websites you linked: they translate via Google Translate - but then, you can just as well directly upload your subtitle file to Google Translate. So what's the point of going via an intermediary?

Best

Claude

Hey! 

So here is my take on it. 

The simplest way and fast way to do it is to subtitle the video and then translate the subtitles into your desired language. But from the above comments, I suspect that this is not the result you are looking for.

The next way to do it is by swapping the audio track. This is fine if your video is just one person talking and the video is short, but doing this for a whole feature film will be really challenging as will cost a lot due to the production value. 

Text to speech services have come on a long way in the last few years, but I think we are good 1-2 years away from this being used for this kind of use case - Check out overdub, they have the best text to voice in production. 

Thank you for your suggestion Sabba Keynejad: this is similar to what I suggested in my 2nd reply to Dr Manish Jain, except for the links to Veed.io and Descript's Overdub

Unfortunately I was unable to use either: in Veed.io, the video wouldn't upload, and Descript seems to only work with Windows (pity, it seems really great)

So I would still suggest 

1. uploading the video to YouTube to get it automatically captioned, 
  2. downloading the automatic captions from YouTube studio > subtitles > click on the 3 dots next to the captions > choose download
  3.  resaving the automatic captions, changing the extension to .txt (UTF-8 encoded)  so you can
  4. upload the .txt file translated to Google Translate and have it translated
  5. copy te translation, paste it into a text editor like Notes of Gedit, save it as a UTF-8 encoded text file, but with the extension of the original automatic captions.
  6. Do the text to speech.

Point 2 to 5 can be simplified by inputting the video's URL to Downsub: it will automatically offer you the automatic captions and many of their automatic translations.

Best

Claude

Perhaps this movie maker online can do it? 

Thank you for your suggestion, Mario Gomes Cavalcanti.

However, the site you linked to does not mention translation, let alone translating audio. 

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment