Start a new topic

Add a feature that imports Youtube machine Auto Captions directly into Amara for editing.

I currently download Youtube's Auto Captions from Youtube, and then upload them to Amara as a good starting point (both for the captions and the timing of the captions), and then start editing the subtitles that way.

Is there a way you can auto-import those machine captions so we can skip a step?

Thanks!

5 people like this idea

Great idea, C Cheung: I hope Amara can swing it.

When I more conservatively asked on Google's accessible group, if YT could enable uploaders to allow other users to download the automatic captions of their videos, Naomi Black - Google's Technical Program Manager for Accessibility Engineering - replied:
"... because the video is the property of its creator, so are the automatic captions. You would have to ask the person who owns the video to share the auto-caption file with you."

However, YouTube lets the Amara software grab human captions added to a video (which are even more property of their creator)  when that video is streamed into an Amara page. So maybe it might relent for auto-captions too?

2 people like this
Hey! I just found a simple workaround.
If you are the uploader of a YT autocaptioned video, you can edit the autocaptions on YT itself, as explained in the Editing section of the Getting started with captions and transcripts YT help topic. Saving your work when you're done will produce a normal track language that Amara will import.
E.g. I've done that with the English autocaptions of "Re: Accessible Radio for the Deaf and Blind: Cheryl Heppner" in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Sc-g6Izeg, where I had initially only added French and Italian closed captions, as the video was already open-captioned in English (i.e. with English captions burned into the video itself).
Correcting the autocaptions produced a track of English closed captions, which got imported to Amara when I created the  universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/v8ehuesjFTxj/info/re-accessible-radio-for-the-deaf-and-blind-cheryl-heppner page from/for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Sc-g6Izeg.
True, you can't change the subtitle splitting on YT. But on the other hand, you don't have to fully edit the autocaptions before you save and thus become able to import the edited version to Amara. So you could e.g. just change a word on YT, save, create the Amara page for the video, and go on editing content AND subtitle splitting in the Amara page.

How come this idea has been marked implemented? True, the workaround I indicated works, but it's not what C Cheung was asking for. Youtube's automatic captions still don't get automatically imported to Amara.

True, we need an 'algorithm' to import open caption and convert them into closed caption!

claro que é importante saber das coisas que consumimos.

Has anything happened to this? Can Youtube's automatic captions be automatically imported to Amara? If not, is there anything I can do to help with this?

Thank you for bringing this topic up again, Lennart.

Since it was started at the end of 2002, existing human captions on YouTube videos are not any longer imported into Amara when the YT URL is used to create an Amara page: due to some change in the Amara API.

Then in the meantime, two tools for editing YouTube's automatic captions were launched: Michael Lockrey's http://nomorecraptions.com and Mike Ridgway's http://www.diycaptions.com. Both worked fine until recently, when Mike Ridgway explained in the Facebook public group for DIY Captions on March 28:

"... Google has made a change to the way that API commands have to be formatted to get the data that we turn into captions in DIY Captions. But they don't document this sort of thing. So looks like I'll be doing some reverse engineering around my work schedule which means it could be a few days before I figure this out. Sorry for the outage. ..."

(and NoMoreCraptions is not working presently either, presumably for the same reason; and the Google2srt applet no longer picks the automatic captions either).

So thank you so much for offering to help. On http://amara.org/en/community, there is a Help Amara Development & Testing link to the wiki of a GitHub repository: maybe you could try that?

Best,

Claude Almansi

As YT has announced it will soon stop supporting Community Contributions, I am also interested in porting auto-translated captions to Amara as an alternative. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for your suggestion, Linda.

If you are the uploader of the YouTube video, you can download the auto-translated captions. Then you can upload them to Amara.

If you are not the uploader of the YouTube video, you can go to Downsub, insert the URL of the video and click Download: the following page offers you download links for the original captions and for their automatic translations in many languages, as .srt or .txt files. Choose .srt, then upload the file to Amara.

Best

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment