Start a new topic

Removing subtitles or videos

Updated August 15th, 2018

Please note that the removal of a video page or a subtitle set does not remove from your profile the entries about your having created/edited them.

Removing subtitles:
If you are the sole author of a subtitle set and if no other subtitles

have been translated from it, you can request its removal  

•  in a reply to this topic if the video has not been added to any team, or
  •  if it has been added to a team, in a message to that team's admins.

When submitting the request, please

1. Label as Remove Subtitles and language
  2. URL for the subtitle set's  page in Amara (it looks like this: http://amara.org/en/videos/NmkV5cbiCqUU/en/16497/ )
  3. Your Username
  4. Reason for taking down the subtitle set.

Removing videos:

If you have added a video to Amara by mistake and if its removal would not affect any subtitling work done by others, you can create a ticket via support@amara.org to request its removal:

1. Label as Remove Video
  2. URL for the video's location in Amara (It looks like this: http://www.amara.org/en/videos/NmkV5cbiCqUU/info/learn-about-universal-subtitles/)
  3. Your Username
  4. Reason for taking down the video

Copyright-motivated removal requests:
If you are the copyright owner of the video, please note that Amara.org does not host any videos, we simply list and embed them for subtitling purposes.  Removing a video from Amara.org will not remove the video from wherever it is hosted.  If you need the Amara video listing and subtitles removed for copyright reasons, please submit a request at 

33 people have this problem

Thank you for your request, Stefano.

I have removed the Italian subtitles in Amara. However, as your Amara and YouTube accounts are synced, they still appear in the YouTube video.

Best,

Claude

Thank you Claude for your answer! I am new in Amara so it is no clear to me what should I do to remove the subtitle also from the Youtube video. Thanks for helping me, Stefano

Hi Stefano,

To delete them manually from YouTube, when signed-in in YouTube: 

• from the droplist that opens when you click on your profile picture, select "YouTube Studio (beta)"
  • once in the studio, select "Videos" on the left 
  • find the video from which you want to delete the subtitles, open it
  • under the title, there are two links: Basic and Advanced
  • click on Advanced
  • under Subtitles and CC for original video language, the existing subtitles sets are listed
  • click on the one you want to delete , and choose "Delete".

Best,

Claude

PS Problem with the YouTube-Amara syncing: each time someone makes Amara subtitles for your videos and mark them complete, they automatically get transferred to YouTube, whereas you have control on the community subtitles made on YouTube, because they must be approved by you before they are published. If I were in your situation, I would undo the YouTube-Amara connection: the links to the Amara page will remain in the Youtube description, but subtitles made there won't be transferred  to YouTube, unless you transfer them manually: safer.

Login or Signup to post a comment