Start a new topic

CAS Experience

Is there someone I can contact in Amara as a supervisor for my CAS activities?

Thank you for your question, Yujin Jung. Sorry, can you develop the meaning of CAS? I know CAT Computer assisted translation, but CAS stumps me.

best

Claude

This is information from IB:

Creativity, activity, service (CAS) is one of the three essential elements that every student must complete as part of the Diploma Programme (DP). 

The three strands of CAS, which are often interwoven with particular activities, are characterized as follows:

Creativity – arts, and other experiences that involve creative thinking. Activity – physical exertion contributing to a healthy lifestyle, complementing academic work elsewhere in the DP. Service – an unpaid and voluntary exchange that has a learning benefit for the student. The rights, dignity and autonomy of all those involved are respected.

The CAS Supervisor is the adult coach, director, seminar or institute teacher/ leader / counselor, who administers , supervises, or oversess the CAS activity you are engaged in. CAS supervisors could be your varsity or competivie / community coach, the director or head of the United Way agency you are volunteering for, or any adult in charge of what, how, and who you are volunteering for or participating within the capacity of your CAS activity. IB specifically states that parents and family members can not serve as IB CAS supervisors.

This is information from the IB:

Creativity, activity, service (CAS) is one of the three essential elements that every student must complete as part of the Diploma Programme (DP). 

The three strands of CAS, which are often interwoven with particular activities, are characterized as follows:

Creativity – arts, and other experiences that involve creative thinking. Activity – physical exertion contributing to a healthy lifestyle, complementing academic work elsewhere in the DP. Service – an unpaid and voluntary exchange that has a learning benefit for the student. The rights, dignity and autonomy of all those involved are respected.

The CAS Supervisor is the adult coach, director, seminar or institute teacher/ leader / counselor, who administers , supervises, or oversess the CAS activity you are engaged in. CAS supervisors could be your varsity or competivie / community coach, the director or head of the United Way agency you are volunteering for, or any adult in charge of what, how, and who you are volunteering for or participating within the capacity of your CAS activity. IB specifically states that parents and family members can not serve as IB CAS supervisors.

Thank you for your informative reply, Yujin Jung. 

Some Amara subtitling teams have a workflow where the subtitles made by a member are then reviewed by an experienced member, then approved by a language coordinator. However, I do not think that such reviewing and approval phases would qualify as CAS supervision.

However, if you would like to integrate subtitling into your CAS, maybe a relevant language coordinator of such a team might be willing to volunteer? For example, the Language coordinators of the Amara TED team are listed in https://www.ted.com/participate/translate/our-translators/language-coordinators.

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment