Start a new topic

Video privacy?

Is it possible to use Amara so that the videos remain private, and cannot be viewed or accessed by others? 

Also, the agreement for Amara says that Amara can republish uploaded videos for advertising purposes, unless another agreement is arranged. Can it be arranged so that Amara doesn't do this?

Thanks.

Thank you for replying on the forum, Judit: this way we'll be able to refer to your answer if others ask again.

Best wishes for 2020

Claude

Hello Tvining,

By signing up for a paid account you can use Amara and have videos remain private so they are not viewed or accessed by others, unless you give them permission to do so.

The agreement for such paid accounts does say that "Customer retains their rights to intellectual property, but also gives PCF a limited worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

Please note that the license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (subtitles), publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content are the minimum required to provide the service. The Customer is in full control of whether their content remains private or is published. License is needed in the situation where the Customer decides to make the content public by changing the settings of their account.

I hope I've been able to clarify the language on the agreement.

Best, Judit

Thank you for your questions, Tvining.

At least with YouTube videos, if you create an Amara page using the URL of a private video, only you and the other people who have been granted access to it on YouTube will be able to view the video in the Amara page and subtitling tool. However the subtitles you create will be viewable by everybody. If you want total privacy, even for the subtitles, you could explore Amara's "Enterprise platform" solutions.

As to your second question, are you referring to:

• You retain the rights to your intellectual property, but also give  PCF (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store,  reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from  translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content  works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly  perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
  • The rights granted in this license are limited to the purpose of running, publicizing, and enhancing our Services.

?

I am not a lawyer, so I am not sure that "publicizing ... our Services" means "advertising". Please create a ticket for this question. The ticket will go to Amara staff, who will be able to answer you more accurately.

Best wishes

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment