Start a new topic

Remove Subtitles and language

URL for the video's language page in Amara:

http://www.amara.org/en/videos/W6fOBPzEgrlS/en-gb/777692/

My Username: brian.wernham

A user has accidentally created this language caption - we now have 2 'English' languages.

Brian

Hi Brian

The English, British subtitles are presently the original subtitles of the video, and their creation seems to have been triggered by the syncing between your YouTube channel and Amara. As I am a bit wary of deleting original subtitles and don't fully know the mechanisms of the YouTube/Amara syncing, I took the liberty of creating a ticket from your topic - #74802 - of which you should have received a notification.
In fact, tickets go straight to Amara tech staff, who can deal with your request in full knowledge of its implications.

Best,

Claude

Hi Brian,

I'm glad Margarita Shamraeva deleted your EN-GB subtitles and re-set the video's language as English.

Happy subtitling

Claude

So, you just don't own your own work. What if, for instance, you don't agree with somenone else's "review"?  

Hi, João Pedro Graça

You do own your work on Amara:

• you can always download your own subtitles;
  • if you don't agree with someone's edits of your subtitles, you can roll them back (revert) to your version
  • if you really want to work alone on a set of subtitles, you can say so in a comment.

However, your use of the "review" word rather than "edit" suggests that what you might have in mind is subtitling within a team that has a subtitling-reviewing-approving workflow, like e.g. the TED team, or the private "business" teams. That's a slightly different situation, because when you join such teams, you have to agree to their conditions and processes. Nevertheless, when such workflows are properly set up by the team owners, the reviewers submit their changes to the subtitler.

Apart from the particular case of workflowed teams: in general, it is better to courteously discuss changes between the involved editors either in the subtitle comments or by messaging them via their profiles, rather than just rolling back to a previous version.

Login or Signup to post a comment