Start a new topic

Keyboard shortcuts

Hi, 

I am new to amara.org and still didn't have the time to update my profile, but I will proceed to do so, as soon as I clarify some issues.

I uploaded a video from youtube and I am in the 1st step of the subtitling process. I have consulted  the keyboard shortcuts info and I can't make it work. I need to change some of the captions to italic and the "CTRL+I" doesn't respond. I also tried to "undo" some actions using keybord and it didn't work aswell. What could be causing this? The keyboard commands work fine when I am using wordpad or MS Word but not when I am using your interface.

Please help me with this one. I would like very much to finish this video and continue to the next project.

Best regards,

Dário

Hi Dário,

Thank you for your questions. To put a passage in italics, add an asterisk  before and after it.

For the other Amara keyboard commands, in the subtitle editor, click on more commands>>  right of Keyboard Controls almost on top of the left column (number 3 in The anatomy of the subtitling editor, which has a described screenshot)  : this will open a pop-up listing these commands

Presently, this pop-up has
  • "Undo last action CTRL + z [Windows/Linux] CMD + z [OS X]" and
  • "Redo last action CTRL + Shift + z  [Windows/Linux]  CMD + Shift + z [OS X]"

under "Proposed Shortcuts (not yet implemented)". However I am able to use both on a Mac with Firefox. Which OS and browser are you using, please?

The pop-up also says in the same "Proposed shortcuts"section: "See the Keyboard shortcuts forum page to offer your opinion." Please do. Meanwhile I'll link your topic there.

Best,

Claude

Sorry for the late reply,

The OS is Windows7 and the browser is Google chrome.

I have added asterisks as you suggested and it works. The passages are now in italics.

Either way, I am unable to use many of the shortcuts in the list. I can't "undo"or "redo", so I have to keep constantly saving drafts to make sure I have a version that I can go back to in case I make a mistake. 

Thank you for your time, you have been very helpful.

Dário

Login or Signup to post a comment